Sunday, August 26, 2012

Goal-Setting Worksheet | First step to taking responsibility...

Writing your goals down digitally or on paper is step 1 to setting goals. It took me nearly 2 days to fill out this goal-setting worksheet online. That's four one-hour train rides to work and back home, two one-hour lunch breaks and two one and a half hours of no gym - and still I am not 100% complete. However, I have a pretty good base here to start chasing my goals.  

When filling out the worksheet I didn't know where to start. I found it easier to focus on the right-side of the worksheet first where you could list your goals by categories: Career Goals, Financial Goals, Educational Goals, Health and Fitness Goals, Community Involvement,  Aim for Greater Self-Understanding, Spiritual Growth and Leisure Time (or Personal Enrichment Goals). Figuring out those first helped me write my Long-Term Goals (10 Years), Short-Term Goals (5 Years) and Immediate Goals (6 months to 1 year). 

The key to writing down your goals is to be very specific. For example, if your goal is to "own a fancy, luxury car" rather than being so vague say "I want to drive a Porsche 911." If your goal is for weight loss, instead of saying "I want to lose weight" say " I want to lose 50 pounds." Being specific helps you measure success because 10 years from now when you are driving down the road in your brand new Porsche 911 and 50 pounds lighter you'll feel that sense of accomplishment! 

Also I must note, be realistic! If your goal is to "beat Michael Jordan in a game of basketball" ask your self what is the likelihood of meeting Michael Jordan and playing him in a game of basketball and winning? Not saying that it is impossible, but it's better to set goals that are within your control. 

Good luck filling in your goal-setting worksheet! Feel free to share your goals with me at ddiaz02@gmail.com. Check out my goal worksheet below.
 
goal-setting worksheet
Dennis' Goal-Setting Worksheet


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I would like to use your worksheet in a book. I'll credit you and your page, and I'll let you know if and when it is published.
    Thanks,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete